Thursday, January 27, 2005

The Joy of Working in Retail

For as long as I can remember, I've had a part-time job in the retail world in addition to whatever full-time job I've had. I've blessed Crabtree & Evelyn, Bombay Co (tried to introduce bhangra music to them--it didn't go over too well), J Crew and now Crate & Barrel with my presence. Tonight, I've finally come to known why I love the retail world so much. It's a little thing called schtikel at C&B. What's this, you ask? It's a shelf that has merchandise that is slightly damaged (a little chip here, a little scratch there), has been returned & cannot be resold for whatever reason, floor displays that have nothing wrong with them, out-of-season items and we, the very lucky employees of C&B, get to buy these items for next to nothing. Tonight $7.50 got me a serving platter, some very cute, colorful nesting bowls, and the grande finale an entire set of new bedding. I'm talkin' about a duvet cover, a fitted sheet, a flat sheet, and 2 pillow shams. Yes, indeed, you did read that right. I couldn't word it better than one of my coworkers: "Whenever I feel sad & I have to come to work, I just know schtikel will make it all better." The joy of schtikel...

1 comment:

city girl said...

I'm sooooo jealous!!