Thursday, May 12, 2005

Corporate Warfare

I've decided to cause corporate warfare--over me. So, I heard about this job at a company and decided to go on the interview. Things were fine at my current job (let's call it Company A) but I thought why not check out other options. Company B apparently liked me and offered me a position. I accepted since it looked like a decent offer. I gave my notice to Company A, who flipped out. They decided they really didn't want me to leave and also made me an offer. Company A offered me a permanent position where as Company B was only offering me another contract position. After much negotiation with Company A and being on an emotional roller coaster, they came in higher than Company B--all things considered. So, I accepted without hesitation. I called and told Company B's reps that I was sorry to decline their offer. The reps then called me back to offer me more compensation than the original. But it's still a contract position. I've decided to stay with Company A and feel relieved that a decision's been made and it's one with which I'm comfortable. But, in all honesty, who would have thought that I'd have two companies fighting for me???? I certainly did not--not now, not ever, esp. not when I was an 11-yr-old whose biggest worry was whether I'd get a typewriter for my b-day. (I did, in case anyone wondered.) I most certainly feel like I'm taking the more comfortable, reliable, stable option but I think I'm okay with that. It feels very grown-up, which is also a new feeling... I was discussing this with a friend--how the stresses of life are no longer about toys or school or grades. Now it's all grown-up stuff like jobs/careers, families, the future, retirement... We're all grown-up people and there are kids worrying about school, grades, the mall, boys and what not to prove it. I like being here.

7 comments:

Mac said...

So, did Company B counter the counter-offer? Or did you decide to start-up a Company C and pay me buckets of cash to hold some vague, obscure title/position?

Shiya said...

Company B did counter the counter, but I said no. And I decided to start-up a Company C and give you some vague, obscure title/position, but I'm not giving you buckets of cash. It's not all about $$ y'know. :-)

Mac said...

Gurrrl! Those 7&7s went straight to your head! Why you gotta be all stingy with the buckets, huh?!? Dang, help a brother out, yo!

Um, see you at work ;-P

Chris said...

So you think that life's stresses are no longer about toys, huh? Obviously, you have never watched a man try to decide which HDTV to buy in an electronics store.

On the upside, Helen, it would seem that your resume is about to launch a thousand ships.

Bargain Well.

Mac said...

"So you think that life's stresses are no longer about toys, huh?"

Must have missed reading about your stopping into the Pleasure Chest in previous post ;-o

Ohnoyoudidn't,Mac!

Shiya said...

Ophir's Razor--you're my first stranger comment! Thanks for checking me out. But I have to ask, who is Helen?
Mac--just can't get the Pleasure Chest out of your mind, can you??? I'll never tell...

Mac said...

Aaaarrrgh! Curses!