Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Another one bites the dust

No, I'm not referring to yet another boy. Just when I was starting to feel secure in my single-ness and enjoying not being interested in any boys, a woman I know goes and gets engaged. Normally I'm genuinely happy when happy things happen to other people. I'm even okay (and I might go as far as saying happy) working with the many happy, happy couples who come into register for their damn weddings, knowing no such thing is in my near future. But, try as I might, I can't get myself to stir up any genuinely happy feelings in this case. All I can see is another wedding that I'll attend (probably alone or with a girlfriend), surrounded by people wondering when it will be my turn, nieces wondering if they'll ever be flower girls in my wedding, a sister wondering when she'll share in this joy with her own sister, parents wondering when they'll be done with the responsibility of getting me married...
Yes, yes, I know there are more important things in life, more things to be happy about...I'll get back there. Right now I'd rather just wallow in the two things that I want but don't have and aren't even visible at the end of the tunnel. Let's hope the bitter-single-woman thing don't last. Here's to being single and enjoying it--I guess.

2 comments:

Mac said...

It's going to be okaaaay. Put the 7&7 down! Turn off the Nick Drake CD, you'll be fine! The divorce rate is like 75%...who needs that hassle? Stay calm. You live on YOUR time, not your family's.

You can borrow Lilly if it'll make you feel beter. She sends her mmnrrreoooowrr!

(On a serious note, I send a hug)

Mac said...

Forgot to mention: I'm listening to a Nick Drake BOX SET.

Good-night.